When I work with clients to declutter their homes, we often uncover valuable treasures worth selling. There are many ways to make money from unwanted items: Craiglist, Ebay, Amazon, consignment stores, garage sales, etc. But not everyone feels comfortable inviting strangers from Craigslist to their home, nor getting offers of only 25 cents at a garage sale for a beloved treasure worth so much more. Selling things online requires time to open an account, read all directions to make sure you are going through the process correctly, take photos, post a detailed description of the item, store it, then pack and ship (when and if it sells). For some these steps are exciting and managable, for others it takes too much of their valuable time.
Have you considered having your valuables sold to the highest bidder at a live auction house? It can be done at Michaan’s Auctions in Alameda CA. If you have 1-5 items, there are easy steps to follow:
Step One: Have your item(s) appraised in one of three ways:
- Attend a weekly Michann’s appraisal event. They currently take place every Wednesday 10am-1pm. Specialists offer evaluations for up to 5 pieces. Appraisals are held in the main gallery on a drop-in basis. No appointment is needed.
- Schedule a private appointment by calling (510) 740-0220 ext. 130
- Submit a photo of the item online at http://www.michaans.com or snail mail the images to their mailing address below.
Step Two: Sell your items
- A consignment contract will be provided which outlines the terms of the sale.
- After consigning you will receive a list of property descriptions and scheduled dates of sale
- Before property goes to auction you can also set a confidential minimum selling price known as a “reserve.”
Step Three: After the auction
- A statement will be mailed to you detailing what items were sold as well as their selling price.
- In six weeks you will receive a check for your sold items.
Michann’s provides onsite assessments by advance appointment when you have A LOT of valuables to sell. They serve the San Francisco Bay Area to the Monterey Peninsula. For more information, give them a call or visit their website http://www.michaans.com
Michann’s – 2751 Todd Street, Alameda CA 94501 (510) 740-0220
Source: “Michaan’s Auction how to Sell at Auction.” Montclarion (Oakland, CA) 13 March 2014: 405. A5. Print.
Isabella Guajardo of Bella Organizing is a San Francisco Bay Area professional home organizer and member of the National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO). She shares simple and creative ways to stay organized and stylish while reducing, recycling and re-purposing. Join Bella Organizing on Facebook.