Getting organized doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a life long process, a “lifestyle change” that develops and improves over time. The more action you take toward an organized lifestyle, the more time you will have for family, friends, hobbies, and life goals. With faithful practice, you WILL become more organized. Here are six simple steps to get you started, with one big thing to remember along the way:
okay here we go!
- Pick a zone
- Make a list
- Sort like items
- Give Away/Sell/Donate
- Congratulate yourself
1. Pick a zone. Choose a room or area of that room where with little work you get instant gratification. Don’t try to tackle the entire garage or house in one day…stick with a SMALL area of one room, such as one small closet or cabinet. Focus on getting this small area completely organized just the way you want it. This positive feeling of SUCCESS! is what keeps us moving toward our organizing goals.
2. Make a list. Prioritize projects to complete within that zone before moving on to another (1., 2., 3., etc.).
3. Sort like items. Do you have multiples of something in this zone? Put them together. Did you see another somewhere where it doesn’t belong? Bring it here with it’s buddies. Don’t stray too far! Stick with organizing your zone. Finding things that don’t belong here? Put them in a pile and find them a home later (#5) or quickly take them to the general area that *should* be their home and leave them there for now. You’ll fine tune later. Get back to sorting your priority zone. Do a little dusting while here.
4. Give Away/Sell/Donate. Use bags, boxes or bins and label them accordingly. Fill them with things found in this zone that you want to bestow upon someone you know and love (Give Away), things you will like to make money back on (Sell) and things that aren’t worth the time but still have a little life in them (Donate). Place a Recycle and Trash bin nearby, in case you come across this stuff. #4 is an optional but very important step to de-cluttering. Be sure to check out my BLOG for tips on how to make cash off your clutter.
5. Organize. Place items where it makes the most sense to you. Should everything in this zone be tidied up and left here or taken somewhere else in the house where it makes more sense to be? Did you find keys that should instead hang on a hook by the door, or go in a specific drawer in the kitchen? A set of winter gloves that go in a bin in the closet, or in each jacket pocket so they are nice and handy? (I leave mine in my jackets and LOVE always finding them there.)
6. Congratulate yourself for coming this far. You completed organizing a zone. Take a break and eat some ice cream. Now set up a date with yourself to tackle another zone sometime soon and add to the accomplishments.
READ MORE BELLA ORGANIZING TIPS, IDEAS & TRAVELS HERE.
Isabella Guajardo, also known as Girl With A Truck™, is a professional home organizer and a member of the National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO). Living in Oakland, she travels in her truck to work with clients throughout the SF Bay Area, East Bay, South Bay, Silicon Valley, Santa Cruz and Monterey Peninsula. She shares simple and creative ways to stay organized and stylish while reducing, recycling and re-purposing. Join Bella Organizing on Facebook. Gift certificates are available.
Call (510) 229-7321 to schedule a complimentary telephone consultation.